Sony Flash Tool (originally called Emma) is official flashing tool from Sony, which allows you to update or reinstall your Xperia with unlocked bootloader (other official tools like PC Companion and Sony Update Service can't update/reinstall your Xperia if you have unlocked bootloader)
How to install Emma?
- Download the Flash tool for Xperia devices.
- Unzip the file you downloaded and place it somewhere on your computer.
- In the unzipped folder, run Emma.exe. During the installation, make sure you remember the installation path:
Default path in Windows 64 bit is: “C:\Program Files (x86)\Sony Mobile\Emma\”Default path in Windows 32 bit is: “C:\Program Files\Sony Mobile\Emma\”
- Copy the Customization.ini file. You find it in the Flash_tool_for_Xperia_X.zip.
- Paste the Customization.ini file into the installation folder. The installation folder is the folder named Emma in the installation path examples on point 3 above.
- Run Emma.
How to use Emma?When you have installed the flash tool for Xperia™, you can flash standard Sony software on your unlocked Xperia™ device. Note! When you flash software onto your device, your user data and content will be erased. Make sure to properly back up all information.
This is how you flash software on your phone:
- Computer: Open Emma
- Connect a USB cable to your computer.
- Phone: Turn off your phone.
- Connect your phone to the USB cable while holding the flash key (for example Volume down). The flash key varies between models. For a complete key mapping, see the supported phones page or list below.
- Computer: Select the software you want to flash in the Service list. The tool automatically detects the phone model and lists available software versions, which are called Services in this flash tool.
- Click on Apply Service. The phone will now be flashed.
- Phone: When you have flashed your device, you can disconnect your phone from the computer. The first time you start your device after you have flashed it, the boot-up might take a little longer than normal.
Supported phones and flash key mappings
- Xperia go (ST27i) – back
- Xperia neo V (MT11i) – volume down
- Xperia ray (ST18i) – volume down
- Xperia P (LT22i) – volume down
- Xperia ZL (C6503) – volume down
- Xperia Z (C6603) – volume down
- Xperia PLAY (R800i) – back
- Xperia E dual (C1605)– volume down
- Xperia E (C1505) – volume down
- Xperia T (LT30p) – volume down
- Xperia S (LT26i) – volume down
- Xperia arc (LT15i) – back
- Xperia arc S (LT18i) – back